The Global Network for Tobacco Free Healthcare Services is an independent, international, non-profit association which is regulated by the civil code of Swiss law.
The Global Network is a membership-based organisation open to healthcare services who commit to systematically addressing tobacco use through the application of evidence-based standards and continuous monitoring and quality improvement through self-audit.
The Global Network is administered by a Board whose members function according to the Global Network Statutes and policies and other operational procedures agreed by the General Assembly.
Download Global Network Statutes
The Global Network Board comprises between three to seven members. Members of the Board are elected by members for a period of two years.
The Board has the authority to establish working groups to assist in achieving the Global Network's strategic priorities and to co-opt non-voting consultants and experts when necessary.
The Board holds the powers of management and administration notwithstanding the functions of the General Assembly. The Board is responsible for proposing the budget and strategic priorities for the Global Network to members for approval by the General Assembly.
The current board was elected at the General Assembly in May 2022. The current board members are:
- Susann Koalick (Switzerland) - Chair
- Laura Antón (Catalonia – Spain) - Vice Chair
- Marianne Hochet (France)
- Emma del Castillo – (Cantabria, Spain)
- Chi-Wei Lin (Taiwan)
- Łukasz Balwicki (Poland)
- Edward Murphy (Ireland)
download global network 2025 strategic plan
The General Assembly is an annual meeting attended by Global Network members and associates (and external observers if approved by the Board).
Members and the Board grant the General Assembly full power to achieve the objectives of the Global Network.
The tasks of the General Assembly include:
- Election of members to the Global Network Board
- Discussion and approval of strategic matters and plans for Global Network development
- Approval of the annual reports of the Global Network Board and of the Coordinating Centre
- Amendment or endorsement the Global Network’s Strategic Plan and funding strategy
- Approval of the budget presented by the Coordinating Centre
- Amendment or endorsement of statutes, regulations, rules for procedure and membership criteria, including admission and termination of membership as determined by the Board
- Decision regarding the location of the Global Network Coordinating Centre when and as required, on the recommendations of the Global Network Board
Day to day operations are managed by the Coordinating Centre which functions include:
- Membership administration including management of membership applications and maintenance of the membership database to facilitate information exchange between members
- Organisation of core Network activities such as the General Assembly and the GOLD Forum Process
- Dissemination of information about other Global Network activities and broader activities in tobacco control internationally
- Dissemination of materials and information about member activities via the Global Network website and by email
- Administration of the Board
- Administration of existing funding, including financial updates for the Board and support for working groups planning sustainable funding initiatives
- Supporting working groups promoting the Global Network concept, and collaborating with relevant partners
The Coordinating Centre and the GNTH Headquarters is located in 8000 Zürich Switzerland.
General administration and support is provided by Michèle Jenne (Lead Coordinating Center GNTH)
The Global Network engages in a wide range of activities with relevant partners and associates in support of the implementation of the WHO Framework Convention of Tobacco Control (FCTC).
The Global Network's "Code of Conduct pertaining to members, partnerships and associations" gives guidance as to how the Global Network and its members should work jointly with relevant partners and associates.